Lynford Hall Hotel Near Thetford
  • Lynford Hall Hotel
  • Lynford Hall Hotel
  • Lynford Hall Hotel

Lynford Hall - Timeline

Location

The Original House was built in a position opposite the present building on the other side of the lake.

1500c
Location

James Nelthorpe purchased the house from a Sir Charles Turner.

1717
Location

George Eyres purchased the house.

1805
Location

Sir Richard Sutton purchased the House and Estate. The Estate was expanded and re-modeled and he lived at the Hall until his death in 1855.

1827
Location

A Mr Stephen Lyne Stephens bought the Estate. He wished to build a new house on the other side of the lake (the present building) for his French Ballerina Wife, Yolande (Paula) Duvernay. Work on a new house in the style of a French Chateau began.

1856
Location

The house was completed. Mr Lyne Stephens had died in 1860, so it now belonged to Mrs Lyne Stephens who didn't take up residence until 1863.

1862
Location

Mrs Lyne Stephens commissioned Mr Clutton to build a Catholic Chapel on the Estate. Up till now the household would travel to Thetford on a Sunday to take mass.

1879
Location

After the death of Mrs Lyne Stephens, the house passed into the hands of a Mr Campbell. During the next 20 years the hall was at its height. It became East Anglia's premier ground for shooting parties.

1894
Location

The Hall was gutted by fire; an entire wing was completely burnt down, leaving just the cellars. The rest of the hall still standing was gutted. The Hall remained empty for 2 years.

1928
Location

The Hall was restored to a livable condition and was the home to Sir James Calder. He was the Senior Commissioner and British Ambassador to America and his good friend Kennedy was soon a regular visitor to the Hall.

1930
Location

During the World Wars Lynford was used as a convalescent hospital for the Officers. After the wars, the house fell again into disrepair and decay.

1939
Location

The Hall was bought by a development company, with the intention of demolishing the Hall and salvage any materials. Fortunately the Chairman, Lord Haire of White Abbey suggested that they sell anything that could be removed and turn it into a small country club and residential flats.

1963
Location

Lord Haire died, and the business that had been successful had now begun to slow.

1968
Location

The Hall was sold to Gerald F Rand. This was Mr Rand's Private residence. It was used as a small bar and events venue during this time, and was used for the popular television show "Allo Allo".

1970
Location

The Organic Group purchased the Hall and The Ballroom was built. The Hall became a weddings and events venue, as well as a hotel.

1998
Location

The current owners bought the hotel, and it is thriving as a beautiful Hotel, Wedding and Events venue.

Present Day


TripAdvisor
Review Lynford Hall Hotel
Wedding Venue, Conference Centre, Business Venue, Event Venue, Norfolk

© Lynford Hall Country House Hotel, Mundford, Nr Thetford, Norfolk, IP26 5HW | Thetford Norfolk.


Tel: +44 (0)1842 878351 Fax: 01842 878252 |

Terms
| Cookie Policy